Saturday, June 26, 2010

Weekend run #2

This was a shorty this morning, just 5 miles. We had two new runners with us, which was nice. We all ran about the same pace and enjoyed some beautiful scenery!!

There are so many types of runners.

People who run for 'fun', people who run because it's 'good' for them.
Music listeners, non music runners.
Tech gadget lovers, minimalists.
Slow, fast.
Skinny, fat.
Old, young.
Male, female.
Shoe junkies, barefoot runners.
Lopers, gliders.
People who 'love to run', people who 'hate to run'.
Talkers, non talkers.
Wavers, non wavers.
Smilers, scowlers.
Hill runners, flat landers.

but which ever kind of runner you are... we are part of a whole. We are a family, a sub-culture, a group of people who 'get' each other. Whether we are running together, meet each other on the path, are in a race with or against each other... it doesn't matter what kind of runner you are, which group you classify yourself with, how much you know, or how fast you are, or how unfit you seem... you are out there, testing yourself, pushing the envelope, proving to yourself that you can... go faster, go further, go at all.... and that, simple idea of wanting to be better then you were yesterday... deserves my respect....

Run free, run hard, run happy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Christopher,

    It is great to have somebody in the class who is an avid runner or at least likes to run. I loved poem in the middle. You broke the stero-type that surrounds runners. I admire how you did that. What do you admire most about running?

    James Sposkoski

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems you have really gotten into the blog. This is great. I like that you have pictures and are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,
    Thanks for posting a comment! What I admire about running... let me see... I love that we as people first learn to walk, then learn to run. As children we run free. I admire that we can test ourselves in our abilities, whether beginners or advanced there is always the element of being a better runner. Going faster, going longer, feeling better on a run, recovering quicker. No matter how advanced the athlete, there is always a bigger challenge and it's usually within ourselves. I love being on the open road, on a warm sunny morning, with my friends or solo. I just enjoy running.
    I'm also glad to have a fellow runner in class! Happy running!

    ReplyDelete